North Wingfield (Winnefelt) was mentioned in the Doomsday book of 1085 and until the beginning of the 20th Century remained a cluster of small farming hamlets.
Since the coming of the Coal and engineering Industries it has grown into a large village with nearly 3000 homes and a population of around 6000.
North Wingfield Parish at one time met up with the Parish of South Wingfield somewhere near Higham.
It included the present-day Parishes of Clay Cross, Pilsley, Tupton and Stretton.
The Church was mentioned in the Doomsday Book with the surrounding buildings including the Blue Bell dating back to that era.
The village centre was around the White Hart and Bright Street which is now a conservation area.
Elm Farm (aka The Elms) is s grade 2 listed house located on Bright Street, North Wingfield. It was built by the Clay family around 1720. Elm farm had fell into a state of disrepair over the years, but it 2011 works started to bring the building back to its former grandeur.
The building was on the 'Buildings at risk' register, due to the works untaken, its now been removed from that list.
One of it's former owners was a Mr Joseph Bright (Hence where the name Bright Street came from).
Please have a look at North Wingfield and District in old picture postcards by North Wingfield Local History Group - GB ISBN 90 288 6064 9 / CIPPrint Page